Compliments are meant to make someone feel good. But have you noticed how they’re mostly based on physical appearance?
While there’s nothing wrong with telling someone their outfit or makeup looks bomb, reinforcing the importance of appearance over other qualities can be problematic. We’ve heard several times how people would conflate weight with health, dictate how lighter skin tones are more preferable—basically making it seem like their worth is measured by their appearances.
This is also where body neutrality comes in. Instead of focusing on what your body looks like, you ought to put emphasis on its functions, and also acknowledge a person’s features without placing value on them.
So, how do you compliment someone without mentioning their appearance? We’ve listed 10 you can use on a daily basis. Feel free to add more!
1. “I love how passionate you are.”
2. “You inspire me.”
3. “I admire your confidence.”
4. “Your knowledge on [insert topic] really helped me.”
5. “I love the energy you bring to the room.”
6. “Your laugh is contagious.”
7. “I’m lucky to have you as my friend/partner.”
8. “You’re talented AF.”
9. “The world needs more people like you.”
10. “You’re going to do so many things with your talent.”