You know you’re craving for something crunchy, flavorful, and salty–but admit it, you’re trying to convince yourself you’re on some new year’s quest for healthy living so fast food will just have to wait. To ease the remorse, here’s a recipe that packs just as much satisfaction with less of the sodium and artificial additives. And think about it—the pride you get from cooking a meal as tasty as this will make up for the guilt you feel after eating the entire serving.
HONEY BOMB CHICKEN WINGS
12 pieces chicken wings Peanut oil
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar salt and pepper
HONEY BOMB SAUCE:
4 cloves garlic
2 pieces chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1/4 stick unsalted butter
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar 2 1/2 – 3 tablespoons honey
1. Marinate chicken wings in apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper in a resealable plastic bag. Refrigerate for about 3 hours or overnight.
2. In a food processor, throw in the whole garlic cloves and the chipotle peppers and pulse until smooth. Set aside.
3. When ready to cook the chicken, remove from the resealable plastic and coat with all-purpose flour.
4. In a large bottom-heavy pot, heat peanut oil over medium heat. Fry chicken wings in batches until golden brown. Set cooked wings on paper towels to drain the excess oil.
5. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat and mix in the garlic and chipotle pepper mixture for about 2 minutes. Add in the apple cider vinegar and honey. Whisk everything together. Transfer the chicken to the pan and coat with sauce.
Photos and Styling by Gabby Cantero
Source: Christel Boncan-Constantino for Southern Living, “Better Than Takeout”, September 2014.