If there’s one product that you could get and use for pretty much anything, it’s coconut oil. Some take a spoonful every morning as a supplement and can even be used it as a healthier alternative for cooking.For beauty, you can use it to make hair masks and other homemade products because it will nourish your locks. You can also use it on your skin as it has moisturizing properties and antioxidants. If you have a tub of coconut oil at home but not sure what to do with it, here are some easy beauty recipes you can try.
If you want to start using a natural deodorant, try making your own using simple ingredients. You can even add your favorite essential oils.
1. Combine coconut oil and shea butter in a jar and melt the mixture in a microwave
2. Once melted, add baking soda and organic cornstarch
3. Mix in your preferred essential oil
4. Let the mixture set and it’s ready to use
Coconut oil also works well as a leave-in conditioner as it makes hair soft and smooth. You can spray the mixture from the middle to ends of your hair and let it dry for a few minutes. The rosemary oil will help hair growth while the apple cider vinegar will keep your locks shiny.
Ingredients: 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar 3 tbsp. coconut oil 1/2 cup water 7 drops rosemary oil
1. Melt coconut oil and add apple cider vinegar
2. Add rosemary oil and water and mix well
3. Pour the conditioner in a spray bottle
Protect your skin sans the sunscreen smell by adding essential oils to this recipe. The zinc oxide will sit on your skin, creating a barrier against the sun. The other ingredients will keep your skin hydrated and nourished throughout the day.
Ingredients: 1/2 cup coconut oil 5 tbsp. beeswax 1/2 cup shea butter 2 tbsp. zinc oxide 1/2 tsp. vitamin E oil 3/4 tsp. Essential oil
1. Combine all ingredients and heat over a double broiler on low heat
2. Stir the mixture until everything is combined
3. Pour the sunscreen mixture into silicone molds
4. Let it cool in the fridge for 30 minutes
5. Once it’s solid, keep the sunscreen in airtight containers at room temperature
Get rid of dry skin and leave it feeling soft with this two-ingredient exfoliating scrub. With just coconut oil and sugar, you have the perfect exfoliator to use on your face and body. Just don’t forget to moisturize after.
Ingredients: 3 tbsp. coconut oil 2 tbsp. sugar
1. Mix the two ingredients together and keep in a glass jar
Give your hands some TLC with this hand scrub recipe. The sea salt and sugar will get rid of any dry and cracked skin while the coconut oil acts as a moisturizer. Honey also has hydrating properties, which will keep your hands soft.
Ingredients: 1 tbsp. coconut oil 2 tbsp. honey 1/4 cup sea salt 1/4 cup sugar 1 tbsp. lemon juice
1. Stir coconut oil and honey in a bowl
2. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a separate bowl
3. Pour the crumbly salt mixture with the coconut oil and honey
4. Stir until combined and keep in a glass jar